12 Days of Christmas - Day 3

TheTwins

~ TIME TO DECORATE ~

This is the third round in our 12 Days of Christmas Q&A Game. For more info, click here.

image.png

Today, we have five questions. Feel free to answer as many as you'd like and post photos. You will receive a point added to your account for each of these that you complete. If you post a picture to go along with answers on #3 & 4, you will receive a bonus point for each!

1) Who puts the lights on the tree in your house, and do you test them when you take them out or put them away)?

2) For those of you with live trees, who's in charge of checking the water level? Are you chuckling because you have a funny story to share about the year it went dry?

3) What's your favorite tree ornament or decoration, and why?

4) Do you have an ornament or decoration that's been handed down through the generations?

5) Do you string Christmas lights on your house and/or decorate your yard? If so, when do you put them up and take them down?

Our tree came pre-lit, so we don't have to worry about testing the lights or putting them up and taking them off.

My current favorite ornament is the one I got at Windsor Castle to commemorate the coronation of Charles III.  I love to look at it and remember what an exciting trip that was last May.

We do have lights on the house, and we leave them up all year.  Lazy, or genius?  Who's to say?  😆

1000005854.jpg

• Like 1

1) Who puts the lights on the tree in your house, and do you test them when you take them out or put them away)?

I do (or used to), but now we have a pre-lit tree and I don't have to worry about it anymore. I used to add 4 extra strings of lights to the pre-lit tree, but I never have time for that these days.

2) For those of you with live trees, who's in charge of checking the water level? Are you chuckling because you have a funny story to share about the year it went dry?

Like, every year? Hahaha... I'm not sure if they still sell them, but we used to buy a "tree bag" every year, which is a giant plastic bag that you put down under your tree when you set it up. That way, when Christmas is over, you can get the tree out of the house without dropping pine needles everywhere.

My favourite decorations are the ones that my mother and I made when I was young. They are simple, made out of cardboard and Christmas yarn, but I have lovely memories of her teaching me how to make them.

4) Do you have an ornament or decoration that's been handed down through the generations?

Not generations in the plural, but I do have many of the ornaments that were on our family's tree when I was little.

5) Do you string Christmas lights on your house and/or decorate your yard? If so, when do you put them up and take them down?

Yes, I am responsible for putting those lights up too. I try to decorate a bit more every year, now that my daughter is excited about Christmas. This year I added some artificial trees that I could string our outdoor lights on. On Boxing Day I purchased some large outdoor ornaments for those trees to use next year, along with some LED icicle lights. Give it a few more years (and post–Christmas clearance sales) and we'll have our very own spectacle of dancing lights... 😄

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1. We test the lights then put them on the tree.

2. Have an artificial tree. Less chance of bugs or lizards. More cat friendly.

3.Have several ornaments we like.

4. Have one from my childhood. It gets hung on the mantle.

5. We decorated the house and pasture fence the weekend before Thanksgiving.

• Like 4

1) Who puts the lights on the tree in your house, and do you test them when you take them out or put them away)?

Varies on who puts them on… but I prefer the spouse and not me 😉 We usually double check them when we take them out before we string them around the tree.

2) For those of you with live trees, who's in charge of checking the water level? Are you chuckling because you have a funny story to share about the year it went dry?

Never had a live tree but one day plan to do animal friendly eating decorations on an outdoor tree someday.

3) What's your favorite tree ornament or decoration, and why?

My favorite decoration is the Jewelry Christmas tree that my Grandparents made. When it was passed on to me, my husband reinforced the frame, and update the color from white and gold to black, and updated the lights to a battery pack and added little grommets where they came out, since the older lights were slightly larger. I don’t know why I’ve always loved it, but updating it and keeping the tradition of putting it out makes it carry the special happiness on.

I’d say the decoration I mentioned above. I’ll post a picture at the end. 🙂

Don’t put lights up outside. I love those houses that line their outline with the light… just never got around to doing all that awesomeness. Sometimes put up random decorations, but typically update the wreath on the front door sometime after Thanksgiving.IMG_3564.thumb.jpeg.163bc9c69e1059c65e59ca86d7ea75e8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, paradise said:

3) What's your favorite tree ornament or decoration, and why?

My favorite decoration is the Jewelry Christmas tree that my Grandparents made. When it was passed on to me, my husband reinforced the frame, and update the color from white and gold to black, and updated the lights to a battery pack and added little grommets where they came out, since the older lights were slightly larger. I don’t know why I’ve always loved it, but updating it and keeping the tradition of putting it out makes it carry the special happiness on.

IMG_3564.thumb.jpeg.163bc9c69e1059c65e59ca86d7ea75e8.jpeg

Wow, this is so beautiful!! What a wonderful heirloom decoration. Thank you for sharing the photo 💖

• Love 1

On 12/27/2023 at 4:00 PM, kpop said:

My favourite decorations are the ones that my mother and I made when I was young. They are simple, made out of cardboard and Christmas yarn, but I have lovely memories of her teaching me how to make them.

I’d love to see the decorations you made. Were some of them like the little yarn hats? My mother made some of those recently. (Random image from the web for context)IMG_3565.jpeg.12b94061d0fa68b5b6e5165d4be94fcd.jpeg

• Like 1

When we were young, it was our Pop. For years, though, it's been split between the two of us. Sort of depends on which one of us is working on what part of decorating. We always check them before putting them up.

We only use artificial trees for years, thanks to some kitty cats and their Christmas-time antics. But for all the years that we had live tress . . . that job always fell to Sis (Elizabeth) and me. I always kind of liked it.

That's a tough one. I'm really crazy about old vintage decorations and have a LOT of the 1930s-1950s Shiny Bright ornaments and others like that. I even have some great pieces that are the WWI era mercury glass. And there are two or three of the un-silvered ones from WWII that still have the cardboard/paper tops, rather than the metal ones. Those are some of my pride and joy!!

Sis and I were always particularly partial to an old gold ball that has very early Pluto on it. We have not had that out for awhile, but I will try to find a picture of it!

Here is a picture showing some of my vintage balls on the tree quite a few years back.

P1012957.JPG

Another favorite is a set of three light-weight plastic stars. Sis and I just have always loved them and put them in our bedroom. You can just see two of them in the center of this picture, but there's a red one hidden at the top!

P1012942.JPG

We have a lot of things that Mom has had for years. I don't think there's anything from grandparents, though. Those all went to Mom's cousin. 

Our Pop does that sometimes. It depends on his mood. 🙂 We also have one of those large Blow-Mold Nativity sets that goes outside.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:28 AM, paradise said:

I’d love to see the decorations you made. Were some of them like the little yarn hats? My mother made some of those recently. (Random image from the web for context)IMG_3565.jpeg.12b94061d0fa68b5b6e5165d4be94fcd.jpeg

Ooooooo . . . this reminds me of something that Sis and I LOVE! And I forgot to mention it above . . .

Mom's step-mother made the coolest things. She crocheted, and she would make these little Christmas Candle decorations that fit over a standard toilet-paper cardboard roll. Here's a picture of one that we still have (we actually have two of them), and we always talk about trying to find a pattern for them!!

image.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, TheTwins said:

Ooooooo . . . this reminds me of something that Sis and I LOVE! And I forgot to mention it above . . .

Mom's step-mother made the coolest things. She crocheted, and she would make these little Christmas Candle decorations that fit over a standard toilet-paper cardboard roll. Here's a picture of one that we still have (we actually have two of them), and we always talk about trying to find a pattern for them!!

image.png

My grandma made those candle decorations, too!

• Like 2

1. Thankfully our tree is pre-lit, otherwise I’d probably make my husband do the lights lol. And always test them when you pull them out! 

2. N/A

3. I have so many ornaments I love, but some favorites are probably a set of ceramic Mickey and Minnie that my mom picked out for me on my first trip to Disneyland when I was 5

4. Not yet 

5. We’re in an apartment now, so we haven’t done much decorating outside. Used to do lights and figures in the yard at my dad’s house.

• Like 1

I don't need to be a part of the game or anything I just saw this thread on the recent activity section and thought it'd be fun just to add my answers. 😊

So normally it's my mom, she does not like assistance. lol My dad is very paranoid about that happening so he usually checks the lights before she starts doing the tree.

That is generally my dad's job but some of the time my mom and I help out.

I have 2! One is my Baby's First Christmas ornament from 1993 and my second one is the ornament I have to remember my first puppy that passed away very young from Canine Lymphoma.

No not yet, in my family everyone has their own ornaments they get every year and as us kids move out or get married we get to take ours with us. So the ornaments on the tree currently are just mine, my parents, and the pets. My brother and his wife (they've been together since 2010) took their ornaments with them once they got married.  

ABSOLUTELY! My dad and I take it VERY seriously. 😆 We have been going all out for at least the last five years. We have an actual wreath that was used on Disneyland Resort property, two decorated Christmas trees, and probably at least 20 blow ups. Let me see if I've got any photos!

We started putting them up around December 2nd I believe and we got most of it done before my hip surgery on the 8th. They are mostly down now, but we take them down in phases. 

IMG_4429.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

Points awarded! I am definitely feeling Christmas-y . . . maybe I need to dig up a Hallmark Christmas movie . . .

• Love 1