12 Days of Christmas - Day 6

TheTwins

~ SHOPPING ~

This is the sixth round in our 12 Days of Christmas Q&A Game. For more info, click here.

image.png

Today, we have three questions. Feel free to answer as many as you'd like. You will receive a point added to your account for each of these that you complete, and if you post a picture in answer #3, you'll receive a bonus point!

1) Do you have a personal deadline for having all your holiday shopping finished? When do you get started?

2) Which gift was the most difficult to find this year?

3) How do you hide what you buy from the sneaky family members and friends?

Back when I was working in retail (before kids) I would shop throughout the year so that when the holidays came around I only had to do a few things.  Nowadays, though, I try to get as much as I can done in November.

This year's most difficult present was for my 15 year old son.  Not because it was hard to find, but because he would always say he didn't want anything.  Then, at the last minute, I remembered that when we went to DL last May, that he was really impressed by the Mandalorian helmet.  He was really surprised, and really happy.  Total win.

This year I was able to hide most of the presents under my bed, though a few larger ones had to be hidden behind other things in the garage.

• Like 3

1. No deadline, shop as I go through the year.

2. Amazon to the rescue.

3. Keep in my truck or workshop until I can get it wrapped. Then in the closet.

• Like 1

1) Do you have a personal deadline for having all your holiday shopping finished? When do you get started?

No deadline, per se... but I am currently a full time university student, and I know I can't get any shopping done when preschool is on winter break... so I try to get most of my shopping done before end-of-term assignments start piling up 

We avoided a lot of "Santa talk" up to this point, but you can't avoid it unless you *actually* live under a rock with no internet, no neighbors and no media...

So 3 days before Christmas, someone asked my daughter what she asked Santa for... and she said very definitively—"a new bike." (We just learned that she was too tall for her old tricycle...) So, Amazon Prime one-day to the rescue. 😅

Put it "somewhere safe" and then panic because I forgot where I put it...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

This was fun reading the answers!!!

1) Do you have a personal deadline for having all your holiday shopping finished? When do you get started?

We really work on stuff throughout the year and try to have it all done in November. Of course, there are always late stragglers . . . I like to have all packages mailed by the first week of December. 

We didn't do too many gifts this year, with everything going on. But getting something that surprises Mom is always the hardest . . . and the goal. Doesn't always happen, though. Well, this year, we did pretty well! We surprised her with two things! The first was a watercolor portrait of our cat, Henry. We've gotten various portraits done of a number of our kitties over the years, but never anything good of little Henry. With the help of a friend (who just happens to be an amazing artist), we got a portrait of Henry!

The second thing was totally different. When we were about a year and a half old and ranging up 'til we were about four, Mom had a portable cassette player/recorder. She'd record us talking and doing stuff. There were a couple tapes from when we were twelve years old and our great-grandmother came to stay for a month. Sis was able to transfer these tapes to digital files, and we wrapped it up as a memory stick in a little hand-held player. We spent like three hours or more on Christmas listening to them. It was hilarious! 

Ha ha ha! That's a good one. I loved the answer from @kpop, because that is SO true. One year, Mom and I hit something, and it was missing for seven or eight years before we found that "safe spot". Another one was missing for five or six years. Generally, though, we find everything that we've socked away!! 

• Like 2

1. Nah! I also just sorta start when I start haha. I am someone who has gifting as a “love language”. I am always picking up little things that remind me of people and just gifting them at random asap. So I actually more have to make myself stop around Sept and hold anything I find till X-mas lol.

2. My husband wasn’t really wanting any gifts this year, but then made an off handed comment about wondering if dvds of the animated Redwall series existed. I knew that they did! Out of print, but I was able to track down some decent condition used copies of two out of the three seasons. It was great tho, because he wasn’t expecting that at all!

3. We were never sneaky, we all loved the element of the surprise and the build up! 

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...