Authentic?

12ontheway

I have had my collection since 2000.  I have traded in the parks and hotels in both WDW and DL.  I want to start trading so how am I to know if my pins are authentic?  

• Like 2

you can do a quick search online about how to spot fake Disney pins. Most of the bulk pins for sale online are most likely scrapper pins that did not pass inspection. Pins before 2012 are really hard to spot fakes/scrapper pins. Look for rough edges or discoloration. Around 2012 pins began to have the Mickey waffle backs, look out for pins that don't have the waffle back to the edges. Post COVID a lot of the authentic Disney pins manufactures quality control dropped off, so a lot of them didn't conform to the waffle rules.

If you have some questionable pins, take pictures of the front and back and post on the forum.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 2:53 AM, 12ontheway said:

I have had my collection since 2000.  I have traded in the parks and hotels in both WDW and DL.  I want to start trading so how am I to know if my pins are authentic?  

If you know you have had the pins you own since 2000, you probably don't need to be as worried about authenticity.  If you acquired them later, after around 2008 or so,

then you could have some suspect pins that may or may not be counterfeit.  If you acquired them in large lots off of the auction site, then they are probably counterfeit.

As said by @firechief18, you can post photos here and people are helpful about identifying scrapper pins.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, momin.ator said:

If you know you have had the pins you own since 2000, you probably don't need to be as worried about authenticity.  If you acquired them later, after around 2008 or so,

then you could have some suspect pins that may or may not be counterfeit.  If you acquired them in large lots off of the auction site, then they are probably counterfeit.

As said by @firechief18, you can post photos here and people are helpful about identifying scrapper pins.

Thank you Firechief and Momin.ator!