Help! I'm Trying To Learn

raevynn

Hey PinPals!

I was told there were scrappers in this group, and I have looked at each pin and the back and I'm  just not sure what I am missing.  Can you help me identify which of these are scrappers and how I can tell.. because I just don't seem to be getting it.

HiddenMickeys02.jpg

HiddenMickeys01.jpg

• Like 1

You likely know some of the more common indicators of a pin that hasn't been through Disney quality assurance--the paint should usually be flat and level without dips between the lines, and while not every pin whose pattern doesn't go off the edge is fake, Hidden Mickeys like your Snow White chaser generally shouldn't--but one thing I see mentioned less is line weight. Common sense dictates that authentic HMs have crisper more precise and, well, prettier lines (hence the common advice to check that the hidden Mickey is the right shape), but that precision also allows for a lot of variation in how thick or thin the lines on the pin are.

Consider your Tigger pin:

Screenshot_20240203-1422122.thumb.png.4106055939ca34764123094e504d9bd0.png

The lineart is fairly simple, so theoretically easy to imitate, but in the Pinpics photo you see that Tigger's snout and nose are detailed with a slightly thinner line than the line that outlines his whole body. In your own pin, however, it looks to me like the size of those lines is more or less the same.

These are just suggestions to look for to help narrow things down. It's not impossible that there are exceptions, outliers, or errors in Disney's own QA; that's where it becomes important to look closely at other photos and compare. But please, don't beat yourself up - if there were a way to look at a pin and divine exactly where it came from, this board wouldn't exist.

• Love 2

First off all of these pins have been known to have been scrappers or fakes. So the picture is hard to see (blurry even when zoomed in); based on what I can see it looks like the whole batch is bad.  For the pins with nubs you find that the scrapper/fakes have a wide dull nub (the smiles pins) or a teeny tiny nubs (Tiana), whereas the authentic pins have a slender, sharp nub. With the waffle back you can see some of the pins have a distinctive boarder on the outside of the pin like the one on the lower right (apple). To be really sure would need much clearer pictures of the backs.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Also most of these have the wrong color (shade) enamel. This is a big flag for fakes.

• Like 1