SKU's

rosenbergm

Hello everyone I have a question for the community I have been a collector a long time and when I collect pins I use the SKU or Barcode whatever you want to call it to confirm that I am getting the right backer for that pin if I don't buy it myself also when I look to go into a trade I use that as one my first checks to ensure it's correct before I move on to say FAC if it has one and or the back of the pin. Does anyone else do what I do. I am like fanatical about it I like all my stuff original as if I purchased it from the store or heavens forbid MOG or DEC. What are everyone thought's I know some don't care but their are people out their who do I implore the community when you post a pin here on pinpics if it's a carded pin please include the SKU or barcode 

• Like 2

Not a huge deal to me but I understand some do want the original cards. Just keep in mind that the database may have the original SKU number but if the pin has been re-released or sold in multiple locations, it can be difficult to add all the different numbers.

• Like 2

In my opinion.......Back when I started trading in 2002 people were more interested in trading the pins.   The backer cards were just packaging.   I often bought pins and put them in my Disney pin trading bag and discarded the backer cards.   I have since changed my methods as people now want the cards.   I keep the pins on the cards that they came on.  For older or other pinsthat I trade for,  I do have a drawer full of old backer cards that I use to put the pins on before putting into my trade bags.  Mostly I do this to give the pin a stable background in the pockets of the pages in my book.   I do try and match the front of the card to the pin (ie. WDI, WDW, LE, DLRP,etc.)   So the SKU wont always match the pin.   In light of your post though, I will cross out the SKU with a sharpie in the future.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2024 at 10:50 AM, powerstitch said:

In my opinion.......Back when I started trading in 2002 people were more interested in trading the pins.   The backer cards were just packaging.   I often bought pins and put them in my Disney pin trading bag and discarded the backer cards.   I have since changed my methods as people now want the cards.   I keep the pins on the cards that they came on.  For older or other pinsthat I trade for,  I do have a drawer full of old backer cards that I use to put the pins on before putting into my trade bags.  Mostly I do this to give the pin a stable background in the pockets of the pages in my book.   I do try and match the front of the card to the pin (ie. WDI, WDW, LE, DLRP,etc.)   So the SKU wont always match the pin.   In light of your post though, I will cross out the SKU with a sharpie in the future.

When I started also I put the pins in the old disney pin trading bag without their backers but I did save the backers for rainy day for the most part I was able to match everything back up to their cards. I do my research I look at pinpics and when I am looking to purchase a pin I look to see if the SKU matches what pinpics has I also will use ebay to see if another person is selling the pin on ebay and has the same backer with sku. Newer pins of course have the FAC so hopefully that matches then to the waffle print if it's a high priced pin and all. I just like all my stuff original as if I went to the store and purchased it I know i'm crazy lol thank you all for your thoughts  

• Like 1

You are never crazy for liking things how YOU like them.   To each his own.   Always do what makes you happy.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

Most of my traders starting out were pins from mystery boxes, mystery pouches, booster sets, etc. Duplicates mainly. So they didn’t come with a backer. From there I bought a small pin pouch. I stuck cork in there to hold the pins in place rather than messing with the pin backs. Appreciate people keeping the backers so you know it isn’t a scrapper. But in my case, I got started trading duplicates.

• Like 2