Help wanted identifying a vintage character

dutchalice

Recently I bought a vintage (ca. 1960) plastic souvenir brooche, marked ©WDP on the back.
The pictured character seems somewhat familiar to me, however I can't place him.
The badge has a googly eye (I love these) and the text De Zwarte Bergen ("The Black Mountains"), which is the name of an former camping site (1958-2021) in The Netherlands. (Just FYI, no use for identification.)

Does anyone recognise this cat in red pants and black shoes?

zwartebergen.jpg

Well that's an intriguing mystery!  Sorry to say I have no clue what character this represents.

It may be a souvenir from the Black Mountain camp grounds in the Netherlands. At least what I could determine for the Google translate from the Dutch websites in the area.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm 100% certain it is not Tom Puss. Tom Poes never wore any clothing or shoes, nor would he be marked ©WDP 😉 

It does seem to be a cat, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this had been something representing Julius the Cat. He was black, but in some of the clips surfacing online there appears to have been a white cat showing up every now and then. Julius is also shown in sketches wearing shorts in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNYkBWA1T2Q

I almost looks like a cross between Mickey and Julius. How interesting!

• Like 1