Help Authenticating Walt Stamp Pin

alexandramiller

Hi everyone.. I got this pin from a whatnot auction and when it came in I was concerned about its authenticity. I can’t find a photo of this style anywhere and it feels very light and not well made. The Small World characters are also very different from any of the other Walt stamp pins. The seller is insistent that it’s authentic but my gut says otherwise. I’m new to pins so I wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any thoughts - especially before I reach out to whatnot to facilitate a refund and return. Really appreciate everyone’s help.

@ScoopsPins

IMG_4147.jpeg

IMG_4148.jpeg

IMG_4149.jpeg

IMG_4150.jpeg

IMG_4151.jpeg

IMG_4152.jpeg

IMG_4153.jpeg

• Like 1

We have already discussed. I asked her to post here as maybe someone would know. I checked mine and this back does match any of the 4 types of Walt stamp pin I have but that doesn’t make it fake. Could just be another variant of the stamp pin. I did find a better back. Not sure what non exclusive licensee means. 

IMG_1389.jpeg

Edited by buzz2001

Thanks Mario for addressing Alex's concern. This appears from your excellent pics to be a soft enamel pin, most likely die-struck, but possibly acid-etched. Thanks to Mario's excellent backstamp pic, it is clear that the pin in question doesn't appear to be as high-quality as Mario's, at least based on the clarity of Mario's backstamp and the off-center placement of the tack on Alex's. But the image quality is better than many, and though I've never found this pin appealing, there are definitely worse versions, none of which come close to the original postage stamp from which the pin's image is derived. There are plenty of these available on the secondary market, and I'd love to see the front of Mario's example for comparison. In any case, licensees over time were probably not as concerned with quality as when they first produced the pin, and in all likelihood, neither was Disney. The certificate below was issued with the first release of the pin, and only the licensee knows for sure whether this is one they produced. The phone number of the manufacturer is conveniently provided on the back, and I would love to hear any information they might supply. I would say unless you paid more than $15 for it, continue to enjoy it in your collection for what it is, as I think any controversy over this pin is not worth the worry. Thanks for the opportunity to explore this pin further, and please share any info you might learn from a phone call query!

Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 1.04.15 PM.png

• Like 1